Wednesday 23 April 2008

All Party Parliamentary Group on AIDS.

I have heard back from this group today.

"I just wanted to let you know that I had a very comprehensive read of your excellent website - it is a brilliant source of information from the front line. I am in contact with a number of organisations about the DLA issue and that I will be discussing it with Baroness Masham, who you wrote to. What we may end up doing is to write to the relevant Minister asking for improved services to soften the blow for people whose benefit levels are lowered and to help them find sustainable incomes. However we are gathering evidence from as many groups as possible first. I will keep you in touch."

I responded,

"Writing to the relevant minister as you describe is welcome. Thank you.

However I would draw particular attention to the process itself. It is not consistent or equitable in its application. We know it is prone to error.

Only yesterday. Some one asked me if the DWP could go straight to his GP ignoring that he has also given them information on his consultant. He has seen his GP on a very irregular basis over many years. I was asked if they could do this. Apart from an undertaking by the DWP that they would always in the first instance seek a medical report from the HIV consultant. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/medical/med_conditions/hiv-aids/sources_of_ev_hiv_aids.asp further clarifies this action.
He is to get back to the DWP and ask why they are ignoring there own “Sources of Evidence” guidance in his case.


This is just one of many comments I get about the process.

Yes some will not be entitled to the same rates. However this is questionable as we know some, unable to fight for there entitlements. Are to frightened to challenge initial decisions."

No comments: