Sunday 23 March 2008

Terrence Higgins Trust - THT

Finally THT have given more prominence and some more detailed information on the DLA review on their website . This a change uploaded at the end of last week.

Only 3 months after I first emailed all the agencies I could think of including THT. At the time there was nothing on this review on any website. Which was the reason for starting the blog. THT certainly new this review was coming, over a year ago, given their membership of the DWP Disabilty & Carers Service Advisory Board. Guess it's better late than never. Though I personally believe in preparation and "forewarned is forearmed".

You will be pleased to know that there is nothing new on the THT website that hasn't been covered here in detail already.

However we are grateful that others who will find THT first. Will now at least get some information to help them.

Some of you undergoing DLA review may also have received an IB50 form for your Incapacity Benefit. Please see the following blog entry - Incapacity Benefit review. (IB50 Form) .
I mention this as it is not on the THT website at the moment.

If need to submit a request for a revision of a decision or make an appeal see the documents section of the main website for the leaflet "If you think our decision is wrong" (Form DWP GL24).

It is not clear if the advice given by THT Direct . Will be more detailed than when we called, read here.

THT offers direct access to its support services if it is funded by your local council or PCT. Where this is not the case and you live in a borough that doesn't fund THT in this way. Where you have accessed THT Direct. Can you let us know if they are offering more support than merely passing you on to a local agency and collecting your year of birth for funding?

Thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

''You can also get help and support in getting back into the workplace from your Jobcentre under the New Deal for Disabled People.''

The THT site states above, but surely if they take away your status as disabled you would not qualify for the above?

I have only asked the THT for advice once in my 23 years of testing positive and found them lacking interest. The gay man with HIV today is so banal.

John said...

It is not just gay men affected by this. It is any HIV+ individual who falls under the remit of this review. As well as those from other disabled groups.

The Jobcentre will usually try and encourage you to engage with a partner of their's, The Shaw Trust - http://shaw-trust.org.uk .

Anonymous said...

I had an interview with the SHAW TRUST last year, I was keen to get back to some sort of finacial stability, dispite feeling ill all the time, as I was & am still in fincial trouble as we all know benefits barely keep us going.
WHAT A BIG MISTAKE!
I waited almost an hour for someone to see me as there was some confusion as to who I was & me being registered disabiled (the look of disblief on the office staff that spoke to me was disturbing)
The person I had booked to see had double booked the appointment with another person with learning disabilities and so I was then ask to see some one else who was actually on their linch break. Fair enough EXCEPT he continued eating his lunch, chomping on an apple while trying to ask me very personal questions about my illness with his MOUTH FULL. I was so annoyed that I asked for the interview to end & walked out. I certainly WASNT encouraged to try again!

John said...

Sorry you had such a poor experience. If anyone has had a good experience I would encourage a comment for balance.

Personally I know of no one who has used them.

John.