Thursday 17 January 2008

A few points raised by an individual elsewhere

So - they are planning to take away DLA from people with HIV who got the benefit on the basis that they were expected to die, but now, thanks the meds, they are going to live?

I can see why this would be annoying, but could it be that they are just looking at the situation, and trying to limit DLA to those that need it?

I'm poz - and have mates who have been poz for many years. Some of them are getting DLA - which I can understand given that when they were awarded it under the 'special rules', they weren't expected to live long.

However, many (not all) of these guys are very healthy - so I can kind of understand why their situations need to be looked at again.

Of course - I agree that those that really need DLA should get it - but I know many guys that get it who really don't need it.

As with any benefit, there is always a risk that people can get so used to getting it that it becomes difficult for them to see how they could cope without it.

However, I think in general, it's a good idea that people's needs be reviewed periodically.

What do you think?

No comments: