Wednesday 13 February 2008

A comment from a previous post.

"Congratulations on setting up this blog - the first thing you seem to learn with hiv is that when it really counts the one thing you can always be sure of is that you're usually on your own!

I am in the same situation regarding the DLA review, trying to access some guidance concerning the DLA556 form, and had the same experience with THT - although they tried to be as helpful as possible on the telephone (I found myself feeling sorry for the guy, who spent ages trying to locate someone), the organisation's management doesn't seem at all interested in providing the kind of support that people living with hiv are looking to them to provide - but I guess that that is hardly a new story! The excuse is funding as you say, but I did a research project involving the archives of a major funding charity for hiv nad AIDS a couple of years back and alot of orgainsations in the past seem to have done tremendously valuable work focused on the needs of people affected by hiv with access to far poorer funding than THT currently enjoys.

The only resource available to me in Harringey, in north London, is also on a single opportunity, once a week, basis for 3 hours. You can't book, and their answerphone message announces that they will not respond to messages - I can vouch for the fact that they don't!

With time running out to complete and return the 36 page form, I've realised that to have any chance of a fair review I will have to pay a minimum of £300 to a solicitor (I bought my home years before I got the boot from my job, so have too much equity in it to qualify for legal aid - but obviously you can't eat bricks and mortar and you need a roof over your head). This is a very stressful and unhappy situation, and I know that I, at least, feel badly let down."

Thanks for this post. Check any insurance policy you have (car/health??/house), or credit cards you hold. Sometimes you may get a free legal service as part of your package of incentives check your contracts.

No comments: